7/12/10

South Beach Style Bridal Shower

The past two years, a bunch of my close girlfriends and I took a trip to South Beach as an early fall getaway. This year one of them is getting married in the Dominican Republic so we'll all be taking a trip to attend her destination wedding. We'll be staying in Punta Cana, which is absolutely beautiful-I've been before and loooved it, but we're all still missing our girl's trip to SoBe. Her lovely maid of honor decided to throw her a South Beach themed bridal shower and employed me to make her cake.

The bride-to-be always gravitates towards bright colors like orange and pink - her bridesmaid dresses are orange and she's even wearing pink shoes with her wedding dress - so I used those colors to create her cake.

I made an 8" 2 layer orange flavored cake & a 12" 2 layer vanilla cake and covered them in vanilla buttercream. **Special thanks to a generous friend for letting me take over her air conditioned kitchen and helping me safely transport the cake to the final destination! Although we almost had a huge mishap with an unexpected pothole... but nonetheless, it arrived perfectly**


This was my first attempt at gumpaste, I used Wilton's website to learn how to make the pink ruffled fantasy flowers. I think they added a much needed tropical flair to the cake. I used two tone orange fondant strips to cover the sides of the cake and vanilla buttercream to pipe the scrolly design.
The orange flavor was a favorite... I'll definitely do more fruit flavors in the future!
Best wishes to the beautiful bride-to-be!!

1 comment:

  1. wow this cake is gorgeous! now i know where to go when i need a cake! this is hot and pink is my favorite color too! you guys are going to have tons of fun for Kim's wedding!!! come back nice and tanned! (funny i always said i wanted to wear hot pink shoes under my dress haha) soo cute! love it Krystal!

    ReplyDelete