9/13/11

Hurricane Luau Cupcakes

Having creative control is something I used to take for granted. I did as I pleased, created what I wanted and if it didn't come out perfect no one had to know. Taking specific orders from people has been the challenge. It's refreshing when I can just do what I want... which is the case with these cupcakes.


My really very good friend was having a birthday luau to celebrate turning the big 3-oh! She asked me to make an assortment of flavored cupcakes in a variety of sizes. Easy Peasy. I really wanted to make her something special. Then hurricane Irene came and ruined it all. Luckily she was able to reschedule but I had lost my footing a bit when it came to timing. This is what I came up with.


I used molds to create various brightly colored fondant flower and leaves to top off some lemon, orange and strawberry flavored cupcakes.

I iced the lemon cupcakes in lemon flavored icing and topped them with big pink molded flowers.

 The strawberry cupcakes were topped with strawberry icing and dark purple roses. The orange flavored cupcakes in the back had blue tinted vanilla buttercream swirls with orange flowers.


I played with different icing tips to create different swirls, some I wanted like ruffles and some I liked to keep neat and crisp looking. The different colors, sizes and techniques came together great at the party.


 Two cupcake stands stood at the end of the candy table.

Another friend surprised the birthday girl with a gorgeous luau cake so there were plenty of cupcakes to go around. I actually took a few to the bar with me later in the evening... they were a big hit - being eaten behind our backs!! The creepsters didn't even ask our permission! I guess they looked delicious - Who can blame them?

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful bright colours, fabulously decorated cupcakes!

    ReplyDelete