10/5/11

Bridal Blossom Cake

Currently the date is October 29th 2012 and I'm in the midst of hunkering down for the arrival of hurricane Sandy in Queens. This leaves the perfect opportunity to catch up on a year's worth of blogging. As you'll notice by the date on this post being October 5th 2011, I'm going to keep the post dates closer to their actual creation dates in order to keep things organized and in chronological order.

It's hard to recall the details from a year ago, but here goes...

This cherry blossom cake was made for a co-worker's office bridal shower.

I was happy with the chance to use a new Wilton fondant mold I bought with no intended end use. [I do that a lot - and I still want to buy more]

 The mold was super easy to use since it's made of a flexible silicone material. I made the blossoms, birds, leaves and floral borders from colored fondant and attached them to a white-fondant-covered square cake. I can't even remember the flavor of the cake... most likely chocolate cake with vanilla buttercream?

I used dark chocolate fondant to make the cherry blossom branches. They would have been easy to create rolling them out by hand but I ended up using the mold for those too just to try it out. Pretty simple either way.

I dusted the pink cherry blossoms and floral border with luster dust and topped them off with some white sugar pearls.

No comments:

Post a Comment